Tuesday, December 30, 2008

You're So Money... Until You're Not

I once watched Mike Shanahan call twelve consecutive passing plays to start off a game. He was known for scripting out the first 15 offensive plays. On one of those particular passes, John Elway lateraled the ball to Ed McCaffrey, who then connected with Rod Smith on a 74 yard touchdown pass.

The Broncos fired Shanahan on Tuesday, making him the fourth head coaching casualty in the NFL since Sunday.


I loved Shanahan's play-calling abilities. He was an artist and the field was his canvas. I am really not sure what Pat Bowlen, Denver Broncos owner, is thinking here except that he felt it was time for a change. Sure, the last month has been a disappointing one, but hardly the impetus for termination. Let's consider Shanahan's record since taking over 14 years ago: 146-89. That makes him the 15th winningest coach of all time. All. Time. In fact, there is only one active coach with more wins: Mike Holmgren.

Let's also consider the fact that the Broncos had the second ranked offense in the NFL this season behind the New Orleans Saints. They averaged 396 yards per game. Typically, this would be good enough to win most games, but not when you are the 29th ranked defense.

Finally, let's consider the great working relationship Shanahan has with Jay Cutler. Cutler has been quoted on several occassions to saying that his development can be attributed to Mike's good work. Now, if you believe Cutler is the future of the franchise, like I do, then you have to believe this recent firing will hurt Jay's progression as an NFL quarterback.

So what's next? There is speculation that Pat Bowlen may ask for the services of Bill Cowher. I've got news for Pat: so are a dozen other NFL teams. Good luck. My surprise pick to take over? Marty Shottenheimer. Call it hunch, but I just think he'll be getting a phone call soon. Or, the Broncos may try and lure Gary Kubiak, once a QB and a QB coach for the Broncos, back to Denver.

Sometimes, the best move is the move not made. This move by the Broncos front office was rash and irrational.

No comments:

Post a Comment